Home > Surviving Equipment > Preserved > Maintenance of Way > Track Equipment

 

Preserved GN Track Equipment

 

GN#

PHOTOS

TYPE

BUILT

RETIRED

LOCATION

CURRENT

OWNER

REMARKS

RC-5 Click for larger image Click for larger image Rail Crane 1926 by Parsons Co. Donated 1968 Snoqualmie, WA Northwest Railway Museum

This crane was used primarily in laying rail. Powered by a 6-cylinder Waukesha gasoline engine, the crane has a lifting capacity of about 1 1/2 tons and the boom is capable of swinging 180 degrees. 

Photo taken July 10, 2002 Date unknown. Courtesy Richard S. Wilkens
24534 Click for larger image Click for larger image

Ballast

Regulator

1963 by Kershaw Co.    Snoqualmie, WA Northwest Railway Museum

The Ballast Regulator is a self-propelled machine that is equipped with a V plow at the rear of the machine to distribute ballast over the ties and side mounted ballast boxes to maintain the track shoulders. The V plow is directional and can move ballast outward from the center of track, pull ballast inward to the center of track, or transfer ballast from one side to the other. The ballast boxes are used to shape the shoulders by plow blades and to also collect ballast from high spots within the box and distribute it to low spots. Also mounted in the ballast boxes are hinged forks that are used to breakup fouled and compacted ballast to provide better drainage.  This machine became BN X-6-0033 in 1970.

Photo taken July 10, 2002 Date unknown. Courtesy Richard S. Wilkens
Copyright 2005 Ben Ringnalda